YouGov ranked the top recommended brands in the U.S. for 2021, based on the percentage of a brand’s customers who would recommend it to a friend or colleague, known as YouGov’s positive recommend score. Each brand in the rankings has been tracked for at least six months and a minimum sample of 300.
Here are the top 10 recommendations and their index scores in the U.S. by YouGov:
- Aldi and Trader Joe’s--89.6
- Texas Roadhouse--86.5
- John Deere--86.3
- Bass Pro Shops--85.1
Both Aldi and Trader Joe’s benefitted from the deeper reliance on grocers by Americans throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. U.S. consumers increased their consumption of several food categories during the pandemic, including everything from fresh and frozen foods, cupboard items and alcoholic beverages. Trader Joe’s and Aldi came out on top when it came to consumers’ recommendations.
Beyond grocery, REI saw a huge lift during the pandemic as more Americans sought outdoor activities with less risk of contracting the virus. Bass Pro Shops, another outdoor specialty store, also made the top 10 list for 2021. Japanese automaker Subaru, which is one of the most popular car brands in the U.S. and beloved by adventure seekers, reported a 102% sales increase in March 2021 compared to the same period in 2020. The company is a favorite among consumers as a top recommended brand, and it also partnered with Toyota on a new electric vehicle that launches soon.
Another standout on the list is Nintendo, which similarly saw growth in 2020 and 2021 as consumers reached for video games to occupy their time during lockdown measures. During shelter-in-place orders, 40% of console/PC gamers said they played games more often, YouGov found.
Beyond the most recommended brands, YouGov also published its top improvers for 2021, or those brands that showed the greatest improvement to their recommend score over the past 12 months.
Here are the top 10 improvers in the U.S. and their past and current scores:
- Right Guard--current score: 72.5, past score: 62.5
- Amtrak--current score: 77.3, past score: 68.1
- United--current score: 57.1, past score: 49.1
- Spirit Airlines--current score: 51, past score: 43.8
- A & W--current score: 75.6, past score: 68.5
- Skullcandy--current score: 69, past score: 62.1
- Experian.com--current score: 42.2, past score: 62.5
- Save A Lot--current score: 75.7, past score: 69.4
- Hot Topic--current score: 76.2, past score: 70.1
- AstraZeneca--current score: 68, past score: 61.9