Fairway Market names new CEO
The grocer has named Abel Porter, a supermarket veteran who had been a consultant to the company, to succeed Jack Murphy as chief executive, according to the New York Post.
Owned by Blackstone Group’s GSO Capital Partners, Fairway emerged from bankruptcy in July. Murphy had been at the helm for the past two and a half years, presiding over two ownership turns and Fairway’s bankruptcy.
Porter, 57, spent the past 20 years at Smith Food and Drug in Utah.
Fairway Markets are iconic in New York and known for their over-the-top assortments and prepared foods, including:
- Fresh juice and smoothie bars
- A pizza bar
- Freshly pulled mozzarella stations
- Comfortable seating area for shoppers to relax and enjoy the store’s many ready-to-eat meal options
- Extensive selection of bulk foods
- Olive oil stations that allow customers easy access to try the best of imported oils from around the world