Follow the Leaders
These types of reports always come under scrutiny because not all of the "Leading Retailers" can be listed. But the objective of this special issue is to recognize retailers that are currently exhibiting best-in-class practices and performance across multiple channels.
So let's take a look at this year's 10 leading retailers, and some of the top-level attributes that brought them this recognition.
In no specific order:
- Wegman's – Imaginative shopper outreach and top-quality product offerings continue a long-standing winning formula.
- Whole Foods – The archetypical high-quality grocer continues to show impressive growth.
- Target – Food continues to be an increasingly important revenue source for this major general retailer.
- 7-Eleven – The long-dwelling top dog among convenience stores uses its leverage to keep improving operations.
- CVS – Despite active and ardent competition, the company increased sales by 7.6 percent.
- Amazon – Its online influence threatens to change the way food products are bought.
- Aldi – Bare-bones operations, combined with imaginative store brands, offers a successful alternative approach.
- Giant Eagle – This customer-focused retailer prospers by executing an intimate knowledge of shoppers in its region.
- HEB – Enjoys versatile success in establishing an upscale market concept along with its store brands production capability.
The takeaway messages in compiling detailed stories about these successful retailers are many. But a few stand out.
- These retailers have established themselves as primary brands, as important as the products they sell.
- They are more driven by revenue growth than by cost containment.
- Their stores make a positive, emotional connection with customers, and are perceived as an extension of the home and kitchen table.
- These retailers gain high marks for communicating openly with shoppers and satisfying their individual needs.
- Their consumers can articulate a clearer
- These companies transmit an unmistakable energy and passion for the business.
- They all exhibit a knack for intuitive intelligence, creating a vision that many others don't see and can't duplicate.
Enjoy the issue. We look forward to seeing you on next year's list.
President and CEO, Stagnito Media