Meijer makes its meal kit move
Meijer is joining the growing number of food retailers offering meal kits, with four new recipes.
Meijer has launched four new meal kits called Meal Inspirations, drawing on the culinary skill of creating a classic mirepoix (a mixture of diced vegetables and seasonings). But Meijer's kits are also designed to inspire consumers to create their own unique recipes.
Each of Meijer's four new Meal Inspiration kits offers three recipes included on the peel-away label. The recipes call for minimal additional ingredients and each recipe is ready in under 40 minutes with no chopping of vegetables.
- Southwest Blend – This is a blend of black beans, chick peas, sweet corn, diced tomatoes, peppers and onions. This is a great base for any Southwestern or Mexican-inspired dish. Recipe to try: Southwest Avocado Veggie Sliders
- Asparagus & Mushroom – Asparagus' bright vegetal taste complements the earthiness of mushrooms. Together they create a powerful umami flavor combination. Recipe to try: Creamy Mushroom & Asparagus Gnocchi
- Ham & Vegetable – If you're craving something a little heartier like potatoes au gratin, this flavorful diced mix of ham, onions, and green, yellow, and red peppers will add a savory punch. Recipe to try: Cheesy New Potato & Ham Au Gratin
- Rosemary Vegetable – This combination of rosemary sprigs, diced carrots, celery and onions makes a great flavor base for an oven-roasted meal, such as a beef roast or braised chicken. Recipe to try: Roast Beef Sirloin & Red Wine Sauce
Meijer also introduced four new vegetable kits called "Roasters" that are perfect for roasting. Each kit has cooking instructions and all ingredients are included to prepare. The customer simply needs to add olive oil and roast.
- Young Potatoes with Scallions & Mushrooms
- Chimichurri Sweet Potatoes & Cauliflower
- Herb Roasted New Potatoes with Bacon
- Mediterranean Style Green Beans
Meal kits represent $1.5 billion out of the $800 billion grocery industry. Meijer joins Kroger, Walmart, Whole Foods and other retailers who are emulating subscription meal kits in various ways.
Meijer operates 235 supercenters and grocery stores throughout Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin.