Southeastern Grocers doubles down on brand equity
The company is launching its largest-ever overhaul of its private label collection, which currently spans approximately 3,000 items across all categories.
Private label products reached a 17.5 percent share of all purchases in 2014, according to Nielsen. Southeastern Grocers is changing not only labels, but also flavors and recipes to cater to increasingly choosier consumers.
"Not only are we transforming by investing in our stores and in lower prices, but we are also investing in the quality of our products," said Ian McLeod, President and CEO of Southeastern Grocers. "I am pleased to announce our largest-ever program of product development, with the launch of three new and refreshed Southeastern Grocers brands – SE Grocers Essentials, SE Grocers and Prestige.
The new brands will be appearing in store through the coming months. Some of the new and improved products to land on the shelf this month include:
- SE Grocers Popcorn - Cheddar, White Cheddar, Salt & Black Pepper, and Sea Salt
- Prestige Popcorn - Caramel and Chicago Mix
- SE Grocers Potato Chips - 21 varieties across numerous flavors that include traditional favorites like Regular and Sea Salt, along with unique flavors like Jamaican Jerk, Sriracha Wavy, Dill Pickle, Ranch, Chile Limon, Maui Onion and many more.
- SE Grocers Essentials - 107 products will land on shelves through February
Southeastern Grocers is also looking to please customers seeking fresh, healthy, affordable food, which has led to substantial enhancements across the entire own brand product line, including:
- Over 2,280 products with no artificial colors
- Over 2,160 products with no artificial flavors
- Over 2,650 products with no MSG
- Over 2,640 products with no trans fat
- Over 2,240 products with no high fructose corn syrup
Southeastern Grocers operates more than 750 stores under its four banners.