Kroger, Whole Foods and Amex execs join News America
Big changes are in store for News America Marketing, the company best known for the SmartSource promotional brand, following a huge hiring spree that resulted in the appointment of six senior executives.
The hirings, several of which are for newly created positions, are designed to drive News America’s ongoing transformation, according to the company. The appointments include company’s first Chief Growth Officer and SVP Head of Product, as well a new Chief Retail and Merchandising Officer, SVP of Strategy & Corporate Development, VP of Insights and Strategy, and VP of Communications and Creative.
"Today’s executive leadership announcement is a major step in our company’s transformational journey,” said Martin Garofalo, News America Marketing’s CEO. “We are structuring our organization for growth to ensure we can respond to the fast-changing needs of our clients, shoppers and industry partners. The executives named today are proven leaders and understand our clear mandate for change, and I look forward to partnering with them as we address the needs of the marketplace.”
Key hires included the following executives:
- Zack Storer, who most recently served as Head of Digital Technologies at The Kroger Co. will fill the newly created role of Chief Growth Officer and Executive Vice President of Digital, Data, Emerging Technologies. In his new role, Storer will report to Garofalo and focus on accelerating growth and digitizing News America Marketing’s networks by building and leveraging transformational technologies.
- Tracey Koller joins News America from Whole Foods to become Chief Retail and Merchandising Officer, starting January 1st, 2018. She spent more than two years at Whole Foods and prior to that 17 years at Target. Her focus will be on reimagining News America Marketing’s retail relationships around value creation and product delivery as well as lead the field organization. Koller will report to CEO Garofalo.
- Joining News America as the company’s first ever Head of Product is Yuval Refua. He previously served as Head of Digital Payment and Director of New Product Development at American Express and will be responsible for creating unique meaningful digital experiences that present consumers with information, media and incentives in a timely contextual manner to help them make better purchase decisions, according to News America.
- Peter Moustakerski joined News America as Senior Vice President of Strategy and Corporate Development and will be responsible for framing corporate strategy, assessing business development opportunities, and exploring new strategic capabilities. Moustakerski, a former Booz Allen Hamilton and UBS Wealth Management executive, was previously engaged as an independent consultant with the company.
- Ethan Rapp joins News America as Vice President of Insights and Strategy. In this position, Rapp will be responsible for leveraging insights to shape the company’s product and innovation agendas, lead its point of view on program measurement, and author the foundational shopper-centric story that guides its selling organization. Rapp will structure and manage an extensive team supporting Shopper and Program Insights as well as Client Insights. He previously served as Head of Solutions Consulting at Adobe.
- Filling the role of Vice President of Communications and Creative is Bryan McCleary. In this role, McCleary will lead integrated communications that includes the public relations, design, and content development teams for News America and the SmartSource brand. He previously spent 20 years with Procter & Gamble and most recently served as leader of global company communications.
News America Marketing is a subsidiary of News Corp.